Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco ‘is a no-show to summons by police to appear for questioning’ in the Dominican Republic amid allegations $182m MLB star had an inappropriate relationship with a minor

[ad_1]

Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco has seemingly ignored a court summons in the Dominican Republic pertaining to allegations of inappropriate relations with a minor.

He was due to appear in court at 11:00am on Thursday. 

Two houses owned by Franco in the D.R. have been raided as police continue to search for the young baseball star.

According to Listin Diario, the Santa Domingo Prosecutor’s Office carried out raids on his family home in Palo Blanco before then going to another home in the Villa Real area from 3pm local time, in search of the baseball player. 

Franco was placed on administrative leave without pay by the Rays as Major League Baseball launched their own investigation parallel to the Dominican Republic’s probe.

Tampa Bay shortstop Wander Franco did not comply with an order to turn himself into a court in the Dominican Republic pertaining to accusations of inappropriate relations with a minor

Franco has always kept his wife out of the spotlight, never naming her in interviews – but earlier this year DailyMail.com revealed she is 21-year-old Rachelly Paulino. They are childhood sweethearts and have two children together. 

The 22-year-old Franco has been under investigation since multiple allegations surfaced across social media in August. It is not clear if the raids concern a specific allegation, or are connected to them all. DailyMail.Com contacted the Dominican Republic prosecutors for comment. 

Franco has denied the allegations, going live on his Instagram account when they first emerged to address them. 

‘They’re saying I got with a young girl, that I’m running around with a minor out there,’ Franco told teammates, in Spanish, during his live broadcast. ‘How crazy is that, dude? People don’t know what to do with their time. 

‘Those people need to get moving. One is here focused, doing my thing, you see, thanks to God. That’s why I prefer to be on my side and not get involved with anybody because people are so gossipy.’

The age of consent in the Dominican Republic is 18.

Tampa Bay signed Franco to an $182million, 11-year contract in November 2021, a deal with a team option for 2033 that could be worth $223million. 

MLB itself put Franco on administrative leave back in August as the league carried out its own investigation, which is still ongoing. A player continues to receive pay and accrue major league service while on administrative leave. Franco has stayed silent since.

Rachelly Paulino, 21, was Wander Franco's childhood sweetheart and they married in 2021, but the baseball standout has never mentioned her name publicly

Rachelly Paulino, 21, was Wander Franco’s childhood sweetheart and they married in 2021, but the baseball standout has never mentioned her name publicly

Franco signed an 11-year-deal with MLB team Tampa Bay Rays worth a huge $182million

Franco signed an 11-year-deal with MLB team Tampa Bay Rays worth a huge $182million 

‘Per an agreement between MLB and the MLBPA, Wander Franco has been placed on Administrative Leave until further notice as MLB continues its ongoing investigation,’ the MLB statement read.

‘The administrative leave, effective immediately, is not disciplinary under the Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy. We will comment further at the appropriate time.’

Baseball is currently in the offseason and the Rays don’t have their first spring training game until February 24 against Atlanta Braves.

Their MLB season starts properly on March 28, at home to Toronto Blue Jays.

When the allegations against Franco surfaced, the Rays removed him from any posters and billboards around the team’s Tropicana Field stadium.  

Baseball Hall of Famer David Ortiz said in August that he had tried reaching out to the 22-year-old.

Franco, 22, has denied the allegations but faces huge questions over his baseball career

Franco, 22, has denied the allegations but faces huge questions over his baseball career 

‘When I heard about this situation, I tried to make myself available to Wander to see how I could help him because I really wanted to know what was happening with that kid,’ Ortiz said last week on Grandes En Los Deportes.

The Boston Red Sox legend said he previously sat down with the shortstop during the ‘Midsummer Classic’ festivities in Seattle in July.

‘I spent a long time talking to Wander at the All-Star Game, I really liked him because he is a good kid, like all youth,’ Ortiz said. 

‘But the mission of one as a veteran is to guide those kids, not trample on them or mistreat them.’

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top